Monday, January 9, 2012

Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors

Photo taken from http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/animals/photos/your-puppy-pictures/basset-hound-howard/


This book is about Homer, a boy who is following after his uncle in the treasure hunting business. When Homer gets a letter telling him that his uncle died, he is devastated.  Homer inherits his uncle's dog and his name is Dog.  His uncle sends Homer a letter along with Dog and it says, "If you get this letter it means that I have passed. I hope you enjoy my most treasured possession. Love, your uncle."   
 
Homer finds out that Dog can't smell.  So one day Dog and Homer go out to the forest and this guy in a cloud appears and grabs Homer. Homer screams and tries to pull away.  Then, the guy in the cloud lets go and Homer and Dog go back to the farm.  Later on they get a letter from The Museum Of Natural History saying "Dear Homer W. Pudding, We invite you to come to the museum for a party.  You are one of our V.I.P guests if you can come to south side of the building."  When his friend Gwendolyn sees the letter she wants to go along with him, so they run away.  The next day the guy in the cloud appears in the city with a sword.

When Homer sees Dog for the first time he notices a golden coin on his collar that says "L.O.S.T" on it and he spends most of the story trying to figure out what that means.  To find out the rest of the story you'll have to read Smells Like Dog by Suzanne Selfors.

I could relate to this book because I have a basset hound who is similar to Dog because she sniffs all the time and barks a lot.  She's always sniffing for her "special treasures" just like Dog.

I give this book a five star rating because of the plot and the action.

I have been studying about Heinrich Schliemann and I made a video about him and his wife.  The reason I am posting it on this blog is because it makes a connection to treasure hunting.  In the book, Smells Like Dog, Homer wants to be a treasure hunter.  Heinrich is a real life treasure hunter.  So I am making more connections about the things I read and other things in the world.  To view my video see the following link.








1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read it! I really want to find out what L.O.S.T. means, who the man in the cloud is and why he got invited to the party as a V.I.P.!
    Jackson

    ReplyDelete